Saturday, July 30, 2005

Wild Goose (Liver) Chase Results In Massive Purchase

More than three years ago, I reveled in the taste of the foie gras at the house of our friend Sophie, also in The Dordogne. This past week, while in the region on vacation, I was determined to find Sophie's butcher at all costs. However, having only a vague notion of the name (long-since having consumed the hundreds of dollars worth of products that I purchased years ago), and remembering only that the butcher was on the corner behind the church in a small town (in a countryside littered with small towns, all with churches), I did not have high hopes.

It was a foie gras miracle that somehow we found Mazaleyrat et Fils while taking a short detour on our way back to Paris! Needless to say, what little space we had remaining in our extremely small car was filled with magret de canard, gesiers, and - best of all - foie gras d'oie. Delicious!


E. and I learned the hard way last year that foie gras should not be puchased at random at the local market in Terrasson. The market spans the Roman bridge every Thursday. (This picture taken on a not-so-sunny day in Spring 2004).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so, spammers, don't bother...