Thursday, October 12, 2006

Smart People, Stupid Moves

The temperature in Memphis dropped into the low 50s today, leaving me completely unprepared from a wardrobe perspective. Thus, on my way out of town this afternoon I made every attempt to minimize my time outside in the cold rain. I ran in and out of the dry cleaner and my mother's house (suitcase deposit) as quickly as possible...

...and then I came to the gas station. This week, I am driving Chevy's answer to the PT Cruiser, an equally hideous vehicle. I had already struggled to find the rear window wiper control, which was in the completely unintuitive location of the center console, so it was no surprise that when I hopped out of the car to refuel I noticed that there was no notch for me to open the fuel cap from the outside of the car.

I got back inside and scoured every surface from the floor mats to the windshield, on both the driver and passener sides of the vehicle, paying special attention to the dorkily designed center console. I then stepped outside of the car and scanned all of the seat, windshield wiper, and light controls. Nothing. I got back inside and did a second scan of the dashboard and console. And then, five minutes later, it dawned on me.

I stepped outside of the car and gently pressed on the fuel cap, and it opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so, spammers, don't bother...