Ever since Naomi Watts went through menopause and started blabbing about it, the media would have us believe that reaching this point in middle age is nothing short of a total disaster for a woman. There has been no end to attention seeking celebrities sharing their "journeys," as well as a new push from the pharmaceutical industry, positioning hormone replacement therapy as some sort of fountain of youth. Even more concerning are the articles about the effects hormonal shifts have on women's intellectual abilities, giving the misogynistic among us more ammunition against professional women.
While all of that is irritating, even infuriating, the simultaneous emergence of clubs such as the We Do Not Care Club has been mildly amusing. I'm so pleased that, as they reach this transitional period in life, fewer women care about things that ultimately don't matter. However, I am still looking for the appropriate club for me: The club for women who didn't give a fuck in the first place. CFWWDGAFITFP is not a catchy acronym. We Never Cared Club (WNCC) may be too lacking in originality; I wouldn't want anyone to think that my brilliant, creative mind had been compromised due to age. I will have to do a bit more brainstorming about the name before its launch.
UPDATE: Maybe "Jowls Club"? Auspicious initials... JC!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated, so, spammers, don't bother...