This past week it first appeared that an ex might be spending time on my blog. As it later turned out, it was a Singaporean bot, but before I realized that fact I had unfortunately exhumed a ghost.
Having previously blogged in the pre-bot era, I hadn't considered that bots would be regularly scraping my blog for content, and that the results would show in my usage statistics unless I implemented new and even more complicated tools to analyze site traffic.
At this point many years later, I only had vague and fond memories of this ex and how he and I had parted: something involving him unilaterally deciding to make a major international move, and me breaking up with him as a result. Not remembering when I had last spoken with him and expecting to find something about a relatively tender farewell, I went to my old email account and searched for his name. My friends, this was a huge mistake.
My query unearthed a number of messages within which his bruised ego was exposed, written to me when I was in the midst of a health crisis, and that would have been much more kind had they been written by a bot. Apparently I had been interacting with a subhuman entity all along.
At this late date it seems I will not be receiving an apology, nor will I be thinking kindly of that ex. I wish I hadn't looked back.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated, so, spammers, don't bother...